January 28th 2013 by Andrew S Gibson
(scroll down for details of a special offer)
Understanding EOS, my latest ebook, is released today.
The inspiration for Understanding EOS came from the observation that resources aimed at beginners tend to overcomplicate basic photography skills. There’s no need to learn what every button and menu function on your camera does, especially when you’re starting out. That’s too complicated. So I created a guide that tells you just the stuff you need to know. The idea is to teach you the basics and give you the tools you need to go out and do what all creative photographers want to – take some beautiful photos.
Understanding EOS keeps things simple, but there’s also plenty of depth. You’ll return to it again and again as your photography skills develop.
There are lots of inspirational photos to inspire you. I also explore the idea that lighting, composition and post-processing are just as important as knowing which buttons to press on your camera. There’s an entire section dedicated to explaining the techniques behind all the photos in the ebook.
This is my longest ebook yet, at 109 pages and 31,000 words. It really is good value for money, especially if purchased in a bundle with my other ebooks.
Here’s some of the stuff you’ll learn:
- What the creative triangle is, and why creative photographers know that photography is about more than selecting which buttons to press on the camera.
- How to move out of your camera’s fully automatic exposure modes and take control of your camera’s settings.
- What your camera’s Mode Dial does, and why you only need to know how to use Program Auto Exposure (P), Aperture
- Priority (Av) and Shutter Priority (Tv) modes.
- The role of aperture, shutter speed and ISO in obtaining the optimum exposure.
- How to use the creative aspects of aperture, shutter speed and ISO to create beautiful photos.
- How to prevent camera shake.
- How to use Picture Styles – and where to get more than the six Picture Styles that come with your camera.
- What white balance is and why it matters.
- Why the Raw format is so much easier to use than the JPEG format.
- What the luminance histogram and highlight alert are and how to use them to make sure your photos are well exposed.
Yep, there’s a special offer! Enter the code february2 at checkout to receive a discount of £2 off the purchase price of Understanding EOS. The discount is valid for all my ebooks, including bundles (click here to see the bundles). The code expires at midnight, 28 February 2013 GMT.
Here are some spreads from Understanding EOS: