Have you ever wondered why your EOS camera has so many exposure modes, and what each one does? Or why it’s so easy to under- or overexpose your photos even with the latest cameras and most advanced evaluative metering modes?
Understanding Exposure explains the principles of exposure so that you understand why your camera doesn’t always get the exposure right (and just how do you define correct exposure anyway?). Your camera’s meter works according to simple principles, and once you understand those you will know why your camera often gets exposure wrong, and what you can do to put it right.
What you will learn
- Why exposure is an important building block of photographic technique.
- How underexposing or overexposing your images adversely affects the quality of your photos.
- Why exposure for digital cameras is different than for film.
- How to use your camera’s luminance and colour histograms to see if the exposure is correct.
- The differences between evaluative, spot, partial and centre-weighted metering.
- Why your EOS camera often gets exposure wrong, and what you can do to fix it.
- When to use manual mode, and what the benefits are.
- Why the optimum exposure differs depending on whether you use Raw or JPEG.
- How to expose to the right and why it improves image quality.
- How to handle high contrast lighting conditions without resorting to HDR.
- How to use the Custom Function menus to set your camera’s exposure functions up to work the way that suits you best.
- How exposure works in Live View.
The overriding principle behind Understanding Exposure is that your camera isn’t smart enough to get exposure right every time, and that it’s up to the photographer to step in and override the camera’s suggested exposure settings.
Understanding Exposure gives you the tools you need to get the perfect exposure every time. You’ll be walked through both basic and advanced principles of exposure and shown how to arrive at the optimum settings in any situation. The ebook explores advanced concepts in simple terms and illustrate them with diagrams, tables and photos so that you can understand why your camera’s meter gets exposure wrong and how to put it right.
Every EOS camera is covered, from the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) to the 5D Mark III and 1Dx. By the time you’ve finished Understanding Exposure you’ll have the knowledge you need to get the correct exposure every time you take a photo.
What others are saying
“Even as someone who’s been involved with photography for over ten years (and having done it professionally for four years), I learned some new things that should improve my images.” – Aaron B. Hockley
“…there are certain principles at work that every photographer needs to understand in order to take full advantage of their creative vision. This book will provide you with that framework so that you will know how to make that “correct” exposure in just about any situation.” – Matt Koenig
“…it covers a lot of basic, fundamental knowledge about exposure and basic operation of your camera, so if you are a novice photographer, you’ll get a lot out of it.” – Craig Ferguson
“… this is a must ebook for Canon owners.” – Jose Antunes
Download your copy today
Click the Add to Cart button to make your purchase and start reading your copy of Understanding Exposure right away. Payment is by PayPal or credit card (the price is converted to your local currency before you finalise the transaction).
I’m so confident that my ebooks will help improve your photography that I give you an unconditional guarantee. If, for any reason, you’re not satisfied with your purchase just let me know within six months and I’ll refund the purchase price in full, no questions asked.
Note: Understanding Exposure is written specifically for the owners of Canon EOS digital SLRS.
Save some money by buying eBooks in bundles. All bundles are listed here.
Title: Understanding Exposure: Perfect exposure on your EOS camera
Length: 79 double page spreads
Words: approx 23,000
The price is converted to your local currency before you complete the transaction.
Payment is handled by PayPal, but it’s easy to pay by credit or debit card if you don’t have a PayPal account. An option to pay by credit or debit card appears after you click the yellow ‘Checkout with PayPal’ button. If you don’t see the option to pay by credit/debit card, it’s most likely because you have recently logged into your PayPal account recently, in which case PayPal only displays the option to complete the purchase using your PayPal account.
Format: PDF. You can view Understanding Exposure using free Adobe reader software on any PC. You can also read Understanding Exposure on the iPad using iBooks – the ebook has been optimised for iPad viewing.
Part One: Basic concepts
- Measuring light – why do cameras get it wrong?
- Film vs. digital
- Using Raw
- The exposure triangle
- Thinking in stops
- Exposure Values
Part Two: Exposure on your EOS camera
- Exposure modes
- Metering modes
- Exposure compensation
- Custom functions
- Bulb exposures
- ND filters
- Exposure in Live View
- Manual lens attachments
- Incident light meters
Part Three: The three exposure scenarios
- Scenario One: The brightness range of the scene matches the dynamic range of the camera’s sensor
- Scenario Two: The brightness range of the scene is less than the dynamic range of the camera’s sensor
- Scenario Three: The brightness range of the scene is greater than the dynamic range of the camera’s sensor